Sunday, January 9, 2011

Charlayne Hunter- Gault, call and response sound, "Blackbird," light, Guinness chocolate cake, gorgeous coffee, Massive Change

1. This inspiring interview with Charlayne Hunter- Gault about her experience becoming the first black woman to attend the University of Georgia 50 years ago.

2. The incredible sound of four men chopping down a tree, singing recorded by Alan Lomax. Very rock n roll way before rock n roll.

3. I revisited this performance (that I had seen on television last year) in preparation for a lesson that I am doing with my students. Corinne Bailey Rae and Herbie Hancock performing Sir Paul Mc Cartney's "Blackbird."

4. My word of the year: light. Buoyancy, brilliance, positive energy, laughing, illumination, less. Inspired by this blog entry.

5. I had been meaning all of 2010 to make this Guinness Chocolate cake from Nigella Lawson. I finally did. It is now gone and I plan to make it again for someone's birthday next month.

6. Gorgeous coffee at Coava Coffee Roasters in Portland, Oregon via Remodelista.

7. I read Massive Change by Bruce Mau at the beginning of 2010. It really has influenced and inspired my thinking about design. "It's not about the world of design. It's about the design of the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment